- 2 yams or red sweet potatoes
- 1 zucchini (optional)
- 1 lb of ground beef (grass-fed) or ground turkey
- 2 TBSP Tomato Paste
- 2 cloves of garlic
- Add 1 – 2 tsp of your favorite fresh herbs – Rosemary, Thyme, Oregano
- 2 Eggs
- 1/8 tsp salt
- Pinch Ground Pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a cookie sheet or rectangular pan with aluminum foil.
- Peel the sweet potatoes, cut into large chunks and cook in a steamer or boiling water. Check that they are soft and well cooked using a fork (should take about 15 minutes). Drain water and mash potatoes.
- Grate the zucchini on the medium fine teeth of a cheese grater.
- Mix together all the ingredients until well blended, and make into balls (about 16).
- Cook the meatballs on your lined cookie sheet for 18-20 minutes. Serve over pasta or spaghetti squash with fresh marinara sauce.
*Note: These meatballs freeze very well. Line a cookie sheet with wax paper and space out the meatballs without touching. Put them in the freezer for about 2 hours until they harden. Then put all the meatballs in a freezer-safe container and take them out one at a time when you need them.
Makes 16 meat balls, calories vary depending on type and leanness of meat