When it comes to dessert , the taste really needs to be worth the calories. Therefore, my general rule is make dessert as decadent as possible, enjoy every spoonful, and be satisfied with a smaller portion. Dairy ice cream, even in small doses, tends to make me feel a bit sluggish, so I started trying some non-dairy ice creams, and that is how I fell in love with the taste and creamy texture of ice cream made with coconut milk. Unfortunately, this treat also tends to be rather expensive, except for the simple flavors I can find at Trader Joe’s. Thus, with a little creativity, I have sought to make a delicious, calorie-worthy, dessert of excellence. INGREDIENTS:
- Pint of Chocolate Ice Cream made with Coconut Milk
- 1/4 Cup salted creamy peanut butter
- Set ice cream on counter to soften slightly (the time it takes to get from the store to home is generally the perfect amount of time for the ice cream to soften)
- Put ice cream and peanut butter in kitchen aid mixer on a low setting and mix together for 30 seconds.
- Scrape ice cream out of kitchen aid mixer, put it back in the ice cream carton, and return to freezer. Ready to Serve.
Makes 4 servings, 340 calories per serving.
OPTIONAL Chocolate Peanut Butter Hard Shell Topping:
- Melt 1 tablespoon of chocolate chips with one tablespoon of peanut butter for 30 seconds in microwave. Stir. If not melted, continue to microwave at 15 second intervals until smooth
- Pour melted chocolate peanut butter topping directly over ice cream. It should harden within a minute or two.
OPTIONAL Chocolate Chip Peanut Butter Cookie:
- Follow recipe for Flourless Chocolate Chip Cookies, omitting baking soda and eggs
- Microwave for 45 seconds, then pile on the ice cream