Finding the time and motivation to prepare a healthy breakfast every day is rather challenging, so I have become a huge fan of making frittatas and casseroles that will last for several days in a row. That way, I can reheat my delicious, veggie-rich and protein breakfast in just a couple minutes. This recipe almost functions as a quiche, as the sweet potato lined dish almost functions like a crust. As always, subbing other veggies for the zucchini definitely works.
- 2 medium 5″ sweet potatoes (orange and/or white flesh)
- 1/4 cup sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 medium zucchini, shredded
- 1/2 sweet onion, finely chopped
- seasoning to taste (sea salt, fresh ground pepper, fresh rosemary)
- 6 egg whites
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Peel the sweet potatoes and then slice them into very thin discs. Set aside 12 discs for the top, then layer the bottom of a glass casserole dish with the sweet potatoes.
- Pile the grated zucchini, cheese, chopped onions and seasonings.
- Add the leftover 12 discs of orange sweet potatoes on the top of the casserole.
- Whisk together the egg whites and almond milk and pour over the vegetables.
- Bake for 60 – 75 minutes. The casserole is done when it doesn’t jiggle.
Makes 4 servings, 130 calories per serving.